Photos above of John Whaite and I on stage – credit to Julie Hudson
I’ve just come back from another bonkers and fun four days at the BBC Good Food Show in Birmingham. Something slightly different this time – I hosted the Magimix Winter Kitchen Stage, where I interviewed chefs whilst they were cooking – and did a bit of cooking myself. Which made a lovely change. Not only did I cook, but I cooked alongside members of the public who wanted to have a go too.
They were brilliantly helped by both Callum and Amie (from Birmingham Uni) who showed them around the Magimix Food processors on their cooking pods and gave them words of encouragement.
Before all of this, I got the audience up and dancing for….an ice cream maker! At one point, I may even have started a conga! As you do!
I did a couple of recipes on the day – one was my Pear and Cranberry Scones with home-made clementine butter – the recipe was in the BBC Good Food show guide.
The other was a very scrumptious and very simple Salmon, Orange and Dill pate with pickled cucumber – this recipe wasn’t available on the day, but I promised that I would put it up on my website….so here it is!
It’s a perfect starter for Christmas lunch, or can be served as canapés at a party – I also suggested breakfast with a bottle of something fizzy on Christmas morning. Have enough champagne, and you’ll be so happy you won’t really care where the turkey is – or where you eventually put the stuffing!
Photo is a bit yellow – that’s the NEC lighting for you.
The photo at the bottom of this page though – well that’s from my cookery book – it has bronze fennel in that version of the pate – still delicious.
Have you got my book yet? Why not?
Here is the link – LOTTE’S BOOK – for you to click and buy it!
Lovely Christmas Pressie. Just saying!
Potted Salmon with Orange and Dill
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
50g smoked salmon – chopped
350g cooked salmon – skinned and pin boned
grated zest of 1 small orange
200g cream cheese
2 tablespoons double cream
salt and freshly ground pepper
toast or fresh bread to serve
- Using the small magi mix bowl and blade – chop the dill for both the pate and the pickled cucumber – turn out into a bowl.
- Next, using the same bowl, roughly chop the smoked salmon – set aside.
- Break the salmon into chunks and put into a the large magimix bowl bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of dill, orange zest, cream cheese and double cream and whizz until it just comes together
- Season with a little salt and pepper, (go easy on the salt as smoked salmon is quite salty already) pulse together and then turn into a mixing bowl. Now using a spoon, stir in the chopped smoked salmon.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and spoon into a serving dish.
Serve on toast or bread…with….
1 cucumber left whole and peeled.
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons clear honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp small capers
freshly ground black pepper
- Use the middle sized magi mix bowl with spindle and the slicer – thin one.
- Feed the cucumber through the tube and slice.
- Remove the slicing blade, take the bowl off the machine and then add all the remaining ingredients.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and / or the acidity and sweetness of the pickle.
Serve some pate onto the toasts and then top with some pickled cucumber and serve.